*Insert stereotypical news broadcast theme song*
This week on SKQ Book Club…
As promised, here are some thought provoking questions inspired by Essex County’s Book Two: Part Three.
- Often enough it seems that tragedies bring people, be it friends or family, back into each other’s arms. Do you think that tragedies… in a tragic way… are good? Maybe just in Lou’s and Vince’s situation?
- Everyone assumes that “Old Man” LeBeuf is falling apart and consumed in his own world. This is somewhat true. In what way is it false?
Enjoy and feel free to participate!!!
Here are a couple of book recommendations by shawshankedbylindsey:
- Far From the Tree - Andrew Solomon
- Tenth of December -George Saunders
- Don’t Get Too Comfortable - David Rakoff
I, myself, also have purchased the first two recommendations and would love to read those with the club. I know that the Tenth of December was a runner up for what book would be read first by this blog. Perhaps we should read that as the second book?
Please feel free to put any ideas or questions in the ask box!
For those of you with the Collected version of Essex County, we will begin reading Book Two: Part Three this week. Then, next week, as usual, I will post some questions about the selected reading.
We will soon be done with this book. Does anyone have ideas concerning what book they would like to read next?
Happy (belated) Canada Day,
Here are some questions I have thought up for Book Two: Part Two.
- Lou suggests that pattern helps with loneliness. Would you agree? What helps loneliness?
- For those of you living in a big city, would you concur that the city becomes a part of you, or you become a part of the city?
- What are some thoughts or opinion on the art? I myself love the raw sketch-like quality of the illustrations. I feel it gives the aging characters a unique look.
Feel free to answer them in the page’s ask box or submit them to the page.
Okay, I know I’ve been lacking in my responsibilities with this page, but I’m ready to get back to business. Finals are over, so let’s finish this book so we can move onto another exciting Sara recommendation.
Last time we had just finished giving thoughts about Book Two: Part One, so this week we’re going to read Book Two: Part Two, which starts on approximately pg 219 and ends on pg 267, if you have the completed works.
Alright, so next Wednesday I’ll post some questions for you guys, since the last post’s participation was minimal, and we’ll go from there.
I just wanted to check in with everyone. There has been less participation than I would have guessed. I’m curious as to whether the book isn’t proving to be exciting for everyone or if the book has been hard to acquire. Have I not been posting interesting enough things concerning Essex County, or am I going to fast?
If anything, don’t be afraid to contact me with constructive criticism or the like. Hopefully with everyone’s help I can get to the root of the problem and make this a better blog.
Wishing the best
Alright, you guys! Last time I posted some thoughts and questions about Book One, so now it’s your turn to pose some questions and thoughts about Book Two… Part One, by submitting them to the page.
Sounds fun, eh?